Friday, March 21, 2008

Issue 3


Issue#3 March, 1983

"The Devil's Cradle"
Writer: Denny O'Neil
Penciller: Gene Day and Richard Howell
Inker: Mel Candido and Danny Bulanadi
Cover: Howell and Candido


Wow! This cover looks like it goes to a lost issue of Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos! I mean, I know Indy is an action hero and all, but yeesh! And when did Dr. Jones stop fighting Nazi's and start fighting doughboys? On an historical note: Indy is driving a WWII Jeep. Which is a little awkward, since it won't debut until 1941 and this story is set in 1936.

The story begins where the last issue left off, with Indy parachuting to "safety" from a crashing plane. We are never told what state Indy has landed in, but it's populated by broad caricatures of hillbillies. Snuffy Smith would be right at home with these yokels.

Indy encounters an aged alchemist named Prospero. Really, Denny? Prospero? Why not Merlin or Gandalf or The Amazing Mumford while you were at it? Prospero!... Where was I? Oh, yeah. So Prosper0 is busy whipping up a batch of some magic elixir that makes him immortal. Only problem is, he wants to blow up an army base too. I think. Or the Army is in the way or- I've read this twice and I still don't think I really follow this.

This issue was so weak, when I went to read all of these in order a month or two ago, I read 1,2 and 3 and swore off the whole series. I did eventually come back to it. But it was a tough choice.

Indy's pants are really tight in this one. Like Aerosmith tight! And he keeps his gun, but never actually shoots it.

Treasure: none
Supernatural element: Yes
Love interest: none
Villain(s): Prospero
Locales: an undisclosed mountainous region
Gun Lost?: No
Creaky Rope Bridge?: Yes
Guest Stars: None
Cliffhanger ending?: No
Jumps out of a plane?: Yes
Animal attack?: No
Menaced by a plane?: No

No comments: